Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve collected many of questions asked most often by new SPCS students. If you have additional questions, your academic advisor will often be able to answer the question or point you in the right direction.

Expand All
  • How do I register for classes?

    Registration for classes is done via BannerWeb, the University’s online student information system. See our Registering for Classes section for detailed instructions on how to use BannerWeb to register.

  • Do I have to meet with an advisor before I register?

    One of our academic advisors can help you plan a degree or course of study suited to your needs. New students accepted into the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts (BALA) and Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (BSPS) degree programs are required to meet with an advisor as part of the admissions process. All other students are urged to use this service since information about programs and University regulations is important to your academic success. For an appointment, contact our main office at (804) 289-8133.

  • How do I make changes to my schedule?

    Schedule changes are also made through BannerWeb. The Registrar’s Office has online tutorials for a variety of registration scenarios.

  • When and how do I obtain a parking permit?

    Parking permits are required to park on campus. SPCS students can register a vehicle for an annual fee for the academic year. Parking permit requests can be made online via Parking Services Website, in person at their offices in the Special Programs Building or in person at New Student Orientation.

  • How do I find my class location?

    Log in to BannerWeb to determine where your classes will be meeting. The campus map will also help you get where you need to go.

  • When and how do I obtain a student ID card?

    Stop by the One Card Services office located in Tyler Haynes Commons room 330 to obtain your card. It only takes about five minutes. If your schedule doesn’t allow a visit to campus, you can do this as part of New Student Orientation.

    A valid state issued drivers license; passport; military identification; or official state identification card must be presented when picking up your University of Richmond identification card.

  • Who do I call if I have an emergency on campus?

    The University of Richmond Police Department is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. In the event of an emergency, please call 289-8911 or 8911 from any campus phone. You can call 289-8715 to reach the Police Department for non-emergencies.

  • When and how do I pay my tuition?

    Tuition payment is due to the Student Accounts office by the end of the first week of the term. You can pay your tuition online through BannerWeb using MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. You can also pay by check or cash in person at that Student Accounts Office in Sarah Brunet Hall. Payment details are available online at the Bursar’s Office Website.

  • Does the University offer an installment plan for SPCS students?

    If an installment payment plan is desired, the University of Richmond has arranged to make available the services of the TuitionPay Plan offered through Sallie Mae. They offer payment schedules of three or four equal payments for each semester with the first payment due in August for the fall term. Plan details are available online at the Bursar’s Office Website.

  • Does the campus provide institutional e-mail accounts for all students and use e-mail as an official medium of communication?

    Yes, we do and the e-mail address belongs to the student for life. Students receive an e-mail account as soon as they have been admitted. After graduation, students may keep their University e-mail address and forward their e-mail to a new e-mail provider, changing the forwarding address whenever necessary.

  • What kinds of computer services (help desk, training, trouble-shooting) are provided, and when are they available?

    Support is available from the Information Services staff for any of the software that is in our standard and for most of the specialty pieces of software that are found in particular labs.

    The Help Desk is open between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday during the academic year. See the Information Services page for more detailed hours.

    You may also log into SpiderTechNet to review the knowledge base and initiate a service request remotely.

  • Who do I contact if I forget my password?

    Contact the Help Desk at (804) 287-6400 (you will be asked to provide information to verify your identity) or visit the Help Desk in Jepson Hall G-19 (with your picture ID) to have your password reset.

  • Where can I go if I need assistance with multimedia (audio and video)?

    The Technology Learning Center (TLC), located on the second floor of Boatwright Library, is a premier new media laboratory. Students will find all of the hardware and software they need to develop multimedia projects. This includes digital cameras and video cameras for loan, a photography studio, an audio recording studio, and five workstations devoted to digital video editing. The facility is staffed with highly-trained student assistants to ensure that students have the help they need to take full advantage of the facility.

    Books and CDs on a variety of software and technology topics below are also available in the TLC.

  • Where can I get help with writing?
    The Writing Center assists writers at all levels of experience, across all majors. Students can schedule appointments with trained writing consultants who offer friendly critiques of written work. Visit the Writing Center online to schedule an appointment. SPCS students may also to use the Online Writing Lab (OWL) for virtual tutorials with a Professional & Continuing Studies Specialist. This writing service, just for SPCS students, offers free, Web-based tutoring easily accessed by email at
  • What options do I have for eating on campus?

    You can find something to eat somewhere on campus whenever classes are in session, from 7:15 a.m–midnight, Monday through Thursday, Fridays from 7:15 a.m–1:00 a.m., Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m.–1:00 a.m.

    Sit down and enjoy the award-winning selections at the all you care to eat Heilman Dining Center. Or grab a quick bite at Tyler’s Grill in Tyler Haynes Commons, ETC convenience store in the Heilman Dining Center lobby, Eight-Fifteen at Boatwright coffee shop in Boatwright Library, or the new Passport Café in the new Carole Weinstein International Center, opening in fall 2010.

    Visit Dining Services online for locations, current menus, and hours of operation.

  • What disability services are available, and how can I learn more about them?

    The University of Richmond provides reasonable environment adjustments or academic accommodations in its programs for qualified students with disabilities. Visit Disability Services for more information.