Financial Aid

Financial aid is available for School of Professional and Continuing Studies students in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans. The type and amount of assistance will depend on your program of study and your enrollment status. For complete details, please visit the General Fees section of the Controller’s website.

In addition to aid offered through the University's Financial Aid Office, the School and other programs offer scholarships and other aid. Applicants should complete the FAFSA no later than July 31 to be eligible for these scholarships and other financial aid.

SPCS Scholarships

Visit the SPCS Scholarships page for details on scholarship opportunities for SPCS degree-seeking students. New and continuing students are eligible for scholarships. Application deadlines are June 1 for fall coursework; November 1 for spring coursework.

Pre-Service Teacher Financial Assistance

The Graduate Education program has worked with the University’s Office of Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations to identify scholarships and financial assistance opportunities specifically designed for pre-service teachers.

ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship — ACS (American Chemical Society) and Hach offer a scholarship of up to $3,000 for professionals who are either pursuing a Master in Education or working towards certification in teaching chemistry/science.

AFCEA Educational Foundation STEM Teacher Scholarships — The Foundation is offering competitive based scholarships of $2,500 up to $5,000 each to students actively pursuing a graduate degree or credential/licensure for the purpose of teaching STEM (science, technology, engineering or math) subjects at a U.S. school in grades K-12.

Association of Teacher Educators Anne Richardson Gayles-Felton Scholarship — The Anne Richardson Gayles-Felton Endowed Scholarship will be awarded to a secondary education undergraduate who shows promise not only as a prospective teacher but as a future teacher educator. Deadline: July 15.

Association of Teacher Educators Robert J. Stevenson Scholarship — This is an unrestricted award of $1,200 for a classroom teacher working towards an advanced degree to enhance teacher leadership skills through the study of teaching. The award may be used for tuition, books or other education expenses. Must be an ATE member. Deadline: July 15.

DAR Edward G. and Helen A. Borgens Elementary and Secondary Teacher Education Scholarships — DAR offers two one-time, preferred amount awards of up to $1,500 for students 25 years of age or older. One award is given to students studying to teach at the elementary school level, the other to students studying to teach at the secondary level. The award is based on academic merit and is not automatically renewable; however, recipients may reapply for consideration as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. DAR society membership (or relation to a member) may be required.

Nancy Larson Foundation College Scholarship — The Nancy Larson Foundation sponsors $1,000 scholarships for college students studying to become elementary school teachers.

National Education Association (NEA) Jack Kinnaman Scholarship — Five scholarships of $3,500 will be awarded, and only students who have been a member of the NEA Aspiring Educators Program for at least one (1) year are eligible to apply. Deadline: April 17, 2023.

Sons of Norway Foundation Dan & Betty Rude Scholarship — $2,500 scholarship for American citizens who are enrolled in an accredited, four-year, post-secondary institution and majoring in elementary education. Deadline: March 1.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant — Students who are interested in the TEACH Grant should complete the FAFSA and self-identify themselves to the Financial Aid Office each academic year. Must be enrolled in the BALA with Elementary Education concentration, the M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction or the Master of Teaching (MT). Provides up to $4,000 a year in grant assistance to undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate students who agree to serve for at least four years as full-time “highly qualified” teachers in high-need fields in public or not-for-profit private elementary or secondary schools that serve students from low-income families.

Additional Resources for Educators

Additional Financial Assistance

Veterans’ Benefits

For information on all available Veterans’ Affairs (VA) benefit programs, including the new GI Bill and links to all VA forms, please visit the GI Bill website. Veterans should also visit the Veterans’ Benefits information available from the Office of the University Registrar. For information about this benefit for military spouses, please visit the MyCAA Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts page. Our School Certifying Official is Jean Creamer ( in the Registrar’s Office.

Employer Tuition Benefits

Students should inquire about possible educational benefits offered by their employers.

Alumni Discount

University of Richmond alumni who have earned an academic certificate, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, post-bachelor’s certificate, graduate certificate, master’s degree or juris doctorate are eligible for a 25% alumni discount on every credit-earning class, also known as the Spider Spirit alumni discount.

Brown v. Board of Education Scholarship Program

The Brown v. Board of Education Scholarship was established by the Virginia General Assembly to provide financial aid assistance to persons who were enrolled in the public schools between 1954 and 1964, in school divisions (Charlottesville, Norfolk, Prince Edward County, and Warren County) in which the public schools were closed to avoid desegregation. Eligible persons must be current domiciled residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Scholarships may be used only to pay tuition costs at public schools and institutions of higher education in Virginia to earn any of the following:

  • GED certificate
  • High school diploma
  • Career-technical skills training at public two-year colleges
  • Two-year or four-year undergraduate degree, part-time or full-time

Financial Aid for Summer School

Financial aid may be available to students who register for at least six semester hours during summer terms.