Richmond Home

International Admissions Requirements

International students comprise a growing number of students at the University of Richmond’s various schools, and the University welcomes all international applicants into its undergraduate and graduate degree programs.

As you consider the School of Professional & Continuing Studies — and we hope you plan to apply — contact your advisor early in the application process.

English Proficiency

If your native language is not English, or if your collegiate- or secondary-level instruction was not in English, you must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) directly to the School of Professional & Continuing Studies.

You must earn minimum TOEFL scores to be admitted, and The TOEFL score must be no more than five years old at the time of application.

  • At least 550 on the paper-based test;
  • At least 213 on the computer-based test; or
  • At least 80 on the Internet-based test.

The IELTS requires a score of 6.5 on the test.

Transcript and Mark Sheet Evaluation

If you attended institutions outside of the U.S., you must have transcripts from those institutions evaluated by an educational credit evaluation service and the evaluation results sent directly to the School. Please submit official transcripts or mark sheets directly to one of the services listed below and have the service send an official copy of the evaluation directly to the School.

Transcripts and evaluation results submitted for admission or credit transfer become the property of the University of Richmond and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to other institutions.

  • Membership Organizations
    • Any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES):
    • The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO):
  • Individual Services
    • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., P.O. Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
      Phone: (414) 289-3400 Fax: (414) 289-3411
    • Global Credential Evaluators, Inc., P.O. Box 9203, College Station, TX 77842-9203
      Phone: (512) 528-0908 Fax: (512) 528-9293 or
    • Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants, 7101 S.W. 102 Avenue, Miami, FL 33173
      Phone: (305) 273-1616 Fax: (305) 273-1338 Fax: (305) 273-1984 (Translations)
    • World Education Services, Inc., P.O. Box 5087, Bowling Green Station, New York, NY 10274-5087
      Phone: (212) 966-6311 Fax: (212) 739-6100

Once all application materials—including fees (if applicable), TOEFL score, and official transcript evaluations—are received by the School, you will be notified of your admission status. This notification will occur by mail, and may also be communicated by email and/or phone contact from your student advisor.

Obtaining a Student Visa

The University of Richmond Office of International Education handles the process of procuring student visas. Student visas will be issued only AFTER an applicant has been admitted to a degree program.

Once you have been notified of an admission decision by the School of Professional & Continuing Studies, the Office of International Education will be notified of your status, and International Education will work directly with the U.S. Department of State and Department of Homeland Security to assist you in procuring a student visa.

Additional information about student visas is located on the International Education Immigration page.

Ready to Apply?

Return to Admissions and Applications.


Kelli Bradford
Admissions Coordinator
Phone: (804) 287-6572 

Professional & Continuing Studies
28 Westhampton Way
Univ. of Richmond, VA 23173