Richmond Home

Pre-Admission Advising FAQs

Take a moment to review some of the more common questions prospective students ask about our degree programs and applying to one of those programs. Please note that some questions apply specifically to undergraduate or graduate admissions and advising, while other questions are more general in nature.

If you have additional questions, please contact the School at (804) 289-8133 to set up a pre-admissions advising appointment with one of our advisors.

How can I request program information?

If you’d like information about undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs, join our degree programs contact list. For all inquiries, you may also call the School at (804) 289-8133 and leave your name and mailing and email addresses for program information.

How much is each credit/class?

The Office of the University Bursar publishes all tuition and fee information for classes that appear in our degree program and summer school schedules. Review our undergraduate and graduate degree program rates and summer school rates pages for more information. Be sure to note the academic year or summer year for which tuition rates apply. Rates for the upcoming academic year (including the upcoming summer) are generally announced in February.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. Most are available after 12 hours completed in a degree program. However, at least one scholarship for degree-seeking students has no credit requirement. Refer to the financial aid information page for more details. Be sure to visit the Office of Financial Aid page for additional opportunities. All scholarship applications require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid be filed.

What tests do I need to take for admission?

There are no tests required for admission to undergraduate or graduate degree programs with the following exception: Admission to the Teacher Licensure Preparation (TLP) program requires one or more Praxis tests. Review admissions details.

Admission to bachelor’s degree programs includes an English placement test. The test is administered as part of the admissions process to ensure student success. Results of the English placement test are not used for admissions decisions, but will be used for English placement.

Where can I find more CLEP information?

Visit the College Board Web site ( or call the Virginia Commonwealth University test center (804-828-8420) for test dates. The University of Richmond school code for registration is #5569.

How many hours may I transfer toward my degree?

In general, you may transfer up to 60 semester hours from a regionally accredited two-year or four-year college or university. However, details differ from academic program to academic program. Refer to the individual degree programs for more details.

What are the admission requirements for entrance into the School?

Undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs have different admission requirements. Review individual degree program admissions pages for details.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. Contact the University Office of Financial Aid at (804) 289-8438 and review the School’s financial aid page for additional information.

What is my Student Identification Number for BannerWeb?

The University has assigned all users 8-digit identification numbers. You should receive your student identification number by mail directly from the School of Professional & Continuing Studies after applying. Call (804) 289-8639 if you have problems with your Student ID. Use the Student ID to access BannerWeb.

What is my PIN for BannerWeb?

Your initial PIN (personal identification number) for BannerWeb is your birth date in the format MMDDYY. If your PIN doesn't work or if you’ve forgotten it, call the Office of the Registrar at (804) 289-8639.

Does the School offer career counseling for students?

Yes. Degree-seeking students are eligible for free career advising through the University’s Office of Alumni and Career Services. SPCS students have their own career advisor who focuses specifically on working professionals completing their undergraduate and graduate degrees. SPCS alumni of undergraduate and graduate degrees and academic certificates are eligible for life-long career advising, too.

How do I register for an Independent Study?

Please look at our Independent Study Guidelines. We also offer a sample learning contract to assist you.

Does the School offer porfolio assessment of prior learning?

Yes. Visit our Portfolio Assessment page for details.

Contact Us

Special Programs Building
490 Westhampton Way
Univ. of Richmond, VA 23173
Phone: (804) 289-8133
Fax: (804) 289-8138

Monday-Friday: 8:30am–5pm
Closed for University holidays