Careers in Public History
Public historians are employed in a wide range of careers and professions focused on making available to the public historical research, archives, artifacts, and experiences.
Although overall growth in fields related to public history (including archives, history, museum work and curation) is expected to match average career growth, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, central Virginia and similar regions boasting rich historical heritage and growing interest in local history and museums may experience greater growth in the sector.
Fields where public historians work can include a wide range of options:
- Public parks
- Historical societies
- Federal, state and local government
Public historians use a variety of methods to interpret and make accessible historical scholarship. Some methods include:
- Historical reenactments and interpretation
- Digital scholarship and digital humanities
- Broadcast media and journalism
- Curating museum and gallery exhibitions and collections
- Historical tourism and educational tours
- Oral history